In the biggest survey of its kind, Confluent finds 72% of organizations are powering critical systems with data streaming
For 89% of respondents, data streaming ranks as an important or top priority for IT investments
Data streaming drives greater IT and business efficiency in 3 of 4 companies
However, skills gaps and team silos are a challenge for more than 70% of IT leaders
Data streaming is now the backbone for the most critical areas of a business—from personalized customer experiences to real-time business operations. The Confluent, Inc. (NASDAQ: CFLT) 2023 Data Streaming Report: Moving Up the Maturity Curve dives into data streaming’s rise as a requirement for business success. Based on a survey of 2,250 IT leaders using data streaming from across seven countries and representing midsize to large enterprises across all major industries, the report makes clear that the technology is a must-have for running a more efficient, responsive, and ultimately more competitive business in this digital-first era.
“In today’s economic climate, IT leaders face a new level of pressure to prove each technology buying decision is worth the cost,” said Chad Verbowski, CTO, Confluent. “Findings from the Data Streaming Report show that data streaming delivers outsized returns and greater efficiencies for most organizations. So it’s clear to see how it cemented its spot as one of the most important IT investments of 2023.”
Key Findings from the 2023 Data Streaming Report
Today’s most successful organizations are those that are the fastest at turning data into action. Data streaming platforms provide the quickest, most reliable access to continuous streams of data that are updated in real time. And, according to the report, data streaming is pervasive within businesses, powering a wide array of use cases that keep top-performing companies secure, agile, and ahead of customer expectations.
The report is centered around the Data Streaming Maturity Curve, which maps out organizations' adoption journey—from pre-production activity happening at Level 1 to data streaming as a strategic enabler for all areas of an enterprise at Level 5. The survey data found that the more a company invests in data streaming, the more benefits and returns they realize.
However, as with many disruptive technologies, companies face common challenges when scaling implementations, including a persistent skills gap and silos across teams. The report identifies the most common challenges alongside expert advice on how to overcome these hurdles no matter where an organization is on its data streaming journey.
Key findings include:
Data Streaming Drives Business Value and Strong ROI
- 64% of organizations in Level 2 of the Data Streaming Maturity Curve are achieving or anticipating 2x-5x returns, and this increases to 78% with Level 3 companies.
- 73% of IT leaders report their organizations are seeing significant or emerging benefits from data streaming when it comes to increased product or service profitability.
Data Streaming Is a Top Priority for IT Investments
- 89% of respondents say investments in data streaming are important, with 44% citing it as a top strategic priority for IT investments overall.
- 72% of IT leaders say they are using data streaming to power critical applications—and 60% cite that five or more of their organization’s critical systems are reliant on the technology.
Data Streaming’s Biggest Challenges: Silos and Skill Gaps
- 74% of IT leaders cite that fragmented projects and uncoordinated teams and budgets can be a challenge or a major hurdle to advancing data streaming.
- 87% of respondents say training and recruitment to bolster skills is a high or medium priority as they continue to invest in data streaming over the next 12 months.
Dive Into the Report
Download the full Data Streaming Report here. Also, check out the blog post from Andrew Sellers, staff technologist for Confluent’s Office of the CTO. He shares his thoughts on the report’s findings and advice for getting started with data streaming.
The report is based on a survey designed by Freeform Dynamics and conducted by Radma Research from February to March 2023. Responses from 2,250 IT leaders were collected across Australia, France, Germany, India, Singapore, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Qualifying respondents are from organizations using data streaming that have more than 500 employees.
- Download the 2023 Data Streaming report
- Learn more about the report on the Confluent blog
- See how Confluent is helping customers transform their businesses
Confluent is the data streaming platform that is pioneering a fundamentally new category of data infrastructure that sets data in motion. Confluent’s cloud-native offering is the foundational platform for data in motion—designed to be the intelligent connective tissue enabling real-time data, from multiple sources, to constantly stream across the organization. With Confluent, organizations can meet the new business imperative of delivering rich, digital front-end customer experiences and transitioning to sophisticated, real-time, software-driven back-end operations. To learn more, please visit www.confluent.io.
Confluent and associated marks are trademarks or registered trademarks of Confluent, Inc.